Sunday, October 20, 2019

Recipe: EASY #Halloween "Mummy" Jalapeno Poppers!

Jalapeno Popper Mummies!
I now have a series of posts I am calling "Recipes That Work!" because when I find one that does, with minimal adjustments, I get ALL excited! Others in this series are my posts on making Apple Roses, Zucchini Roses, Tamales, Vietnam Summer Rolls, and Tamarind Paste
The other night, for Very Special Guests at the Elkhorn Inn & Theatre I made Halloween "Mummy" Poppers for the first time, and they turned out great, and were a BIG hit! I also made some fun Halloween Cocktails, and my next post will be about them. 
But first: Mummies!
The recipe I started off with was this: https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyle/2018/10/24/best-bites-happy-halloween-jalapeno-popper-mummies/23570460/
I read it 14 times, LOL, and it looked like something that even I could do without it becoming a #PinterestFail disaster, so I got Chef Dan to get me the ingredients- but I changed a few things, as I am wont to do...

Ingredients:
10 Jalapeno peppers
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (or the melting cheese of your choice)
Chives
1 roll of Pepperidge Farm Crescent Roll dough
A bit of flour or Bisquick, for rolling out the dough
1 egg
Eyes: You can use candy eyes, or cream cheese and olive bits, or plastic eyes (that is what I used)
Tools: Rolling pin; sharp, flat knife or pizza cutter; brush for the egg wash; bowls; baking sheet

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Shred the Mozzarella in a bowl (or use pre-shredded Mozzarella), and mix with chopped chives. You can add salt and anything else you like to the filling at this point. The cheese needs to be soft so you can stuff the jalapenos. (The original recipe called for cream cheese, but we prefer Mozzarella...)

3. Slice the jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise. Leave the stems on some, as it's cute!
Halved jalapenos
Crescent Dough cut into strips

4. Flour your rolling surface and rolling pin lightly, and roll out the crescent roll dough. Push the dough together to close up the perforations.  Make rectangles from the dough. You will get 4 rectangles from one roll of dough.

5. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp flat knife (pictured), slice the dough into thin strips. You will get about 10 strips from each rectangle.

Cheese-stuffed jalapenos
6. Fill each Jalapeno half with the cheese mixture, as shown. (The softer the cheese, the easier it is to do this).

7. Wrap each jalapeno with the dough strips like a "mummy", leaving a place to put the "eyes", as shown. You may have to piece together dough strips- it's easy!
Mummy-wrapped jalapenos

Brush with beaten egg...
8. Beat the egg in a small bowl. 

9. Brush the "mummies" with the the beaten egg wash, and place them on a baking sheet.

10. Bake in the oven at 400F for about 10 minutes until they are golden brown.

11. Add the eyes, and serve immediately! (Remove the plastic eyes before eating. Duh!)
Jalapeno Popper Mummies!
They were delicious- and VERY filling- and a BIG hit, and we will definitely be making them again and again! 
Let me know in the comments if you've made them, and any special things you added, or if you changed anything!
Jalapeno Popper Mummies!

No comments: